Friday, May 8, 2009

A tribute to my Grandma Dobson

Today I am remembering my Grandma Dobson as it is her birthday. She would be 102 if she were alive. I was going through some of my old pictures so that I could post one of her, and I found a paper that I had written in grade school about her. I was 13 years old when I wrote it.



She was an amazing lady! In the picture above I was about 15 and we were standing in her kitchen, which is were she spent most of her time. She was the best little country wife around. She was an amazing cook! Her specialties were chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and banana creme pie.

One summer she taught me how to make those banana creme pies, and I will never forgot all her little tips. She used Dream Whip instead of cool whip. Who knows why, but that's just what she always did. She would make 5 or 6 pie crust at a time and freeze them. Then she would tell me, "That way I always have a crust ready when the men want a pie." She believed in taking care of the men (my grandpa, my dad, brothers, and hired hands) that worked hard in the fields. She always had iced tea and a slice of pie when they came in for a break from the heat. She was the old fashioned wife that I aspire to be. I have a long way to go to be as attentive as she was. She told me time and time again, "Katie, take care of the men and they will take care of you." That is so true!

Not only was she a pro at cooking and baking, she was an awesome checker player. I spent many days sitting at her kitchen table playing checkers with her. She would ALWAYS beat me. One time I thought I could outsmart her and I said, "Grandma, let's play the opposite way. Whoever loses actually wins." Well, she figured out a way to lose the game so that she actually won! When she passed away I got to keep that checker set, and someday I will use it to teach my kids how to play.

Grandma Dobson brought everyone so much joy! She is truly missed. I can see her in heaven making pies and giving everyone tips about how to take care of "the men!"

No comments:

Post a Comment